In this article, we are going to give one example to air pollution essay to give you an idea on how you should formulate the essay on topic air pollution. This essay is written keeping in mind the understanding level of kids from age 6 to 13. So if you are looking for the best air pollution essay for kids then you can go ahead and take it as an example to help yourself in the process of writing an essay.
Table of Contents
Air pollution essay for kids
Introduction to Air Pollution Essay
Air is among the vital and important environmental components that all the living organisms need for their survival. But it is good to take only fresh and healthy air. There should be a proper balance of all the constituents in the air as contaminated air can be very harmful to the health.
Air pollution is one of the most serious problems that maximum parts of the world are dealing with. Day by day the graph of air pollution is increasing. The ever-increasing industrialization, advancement, vehicles, and population are some of the major reasons behind this serious problem of air pollution in the world.
Half of the cities of the world have bad air quality. Big cities with maximum industries and population are more affected by air pollution. According to a survey conducted by WHO (World Health Organization), cities like Kanpur, Gaya, Delhi in India, Bamenda, (Cameroon), Riyadh (Saudi Arabia) etc are in the top list of most air-polluted cities in the world.
India has the maximum number of cities with bad air quality and day by day the number is increasing. The bad quality of air is dangerous to human health and for all the other living beings. It is a serious matter of concern as it can be hazardous to this planet.
Firstly, let’s understand what exactly is air pollution and further we will move to the causes and effects. Check this video for learning about facts and figures.
What is Air Pollution?
When harmful chemicals, gases, and other substances are discharged into the air from various sources they cause air pollution. When the level of pollutants increases in the air it results in the poor quality of air.
Air pollution can be defined as the imbalance in the quality of air by the introduction of some harmful materials, toxic gases, particulates, molecules, and other pollutants from various sources.
Air pollution can be explained simply as the “contamination of air by some harmful substances”.
Causes of Air Pollution
Air pollution is caused when the number of harmful substances and particulates increases in the air. Air pollution can be caused by both natural reasons and due to human activities. Some of them are as follows-
- Forest Fires- The burning of the forest is sometimes a natural phenomenon and sometimes a human activity but both the reasons are enough to pollute the air.
- Dust storms/Wind- The second natural reason for air pollution is the big dust storms that carry various pollutants and causes huge destruction.
- Volcanic eruption- The toxic gases released from a volcanic eruption gets mixed with the air and has detrimental effects on the health of all the living beings.
- The burning of Fossil fuels- Burning of fossil fuels like coal, petrol leads to the emission of very toxic carbon monoxide gas, which is very harmful to the environment.
- Exhaust from automobile and vehicles- Vehicles are one of the major sources of air pollution in this world. The emission of harmful gases by the burning of fuels in the vehicle leads to the release of gases like carbon monoxide in the air.
- Exhaust from Industries- The waste from industries and factories in the form of poisonous gases have a great contribution in creating a high level of air pollution.
- Deforestation- Trees are major sources of fresh air as they help in purification of air but the cutting of trees and deforestation leads to the increment of harmful gases and other particulates in the air and causes air pollution.
- Household and commercial appliances- Cooling appliances like air conditioners and refrigerators are responsible for the emission of Chlorofloro Carbons (CFCs) into the atmosphere. CFCs are a main behind the depletion of the Ozone
Apart from these mining, chemical testing, agricultural waste, fertilizers, particulate pollutants, smog, decomposition of natural elements etc are some other reasons behind air pollution.
Important Air Pollutants
Air pollutants can be divided into two types-
- Primary air pollutants and
- Secondary air pollutants
Carbon dioxide (CO2), Sulphur dioxide (SO2), Hydrocarbons (HC), Nitrogen dioxide (NO2) and particulates are known as primary pollutants.
Ultraviolet rays, Lead and the pollutants formed by the reaction between the primary air pollutants or some component of air are known as secondary pollutants. These secondary air pollutants are a major reason behind acid rains and have an adverse effect on crops, animals, vegetation, soil etc.
Harmful Effects of Air Pollution
Air pollution is very dangerous for human health and other living beings that exist on the earth. Apart from living beings, air pollution also has adverse effects on the material, infrastructure, crops, and other things.
Air pollution has both short-term and long-term effects. Some of the harmful effects of air pollution are-
- Human Health- Air pollution has a various short term and long term effects on human health. The short-term effects include a headache, allergies, irritation in eyes, nose, and throats whereas long-term effects include chronic diseases like respiratory disorders, chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD), asthma, lung and bronchitis disorders etc. Air pollution also reduces the visibility resulting in week eyesight.
- Acid rain- When the harmful particulates and gases come down in the form of rain it is called acid rain. The increasing air pollution has also increased the rate of acid rain. It is a great threat to crops, soil, forests, water bodies like lakes, ponds etc.
- Depletion of the Ozone layer- Ozone layer is a protective layer that protects the atmosphere from harmful ultraviolet radiations of the sun. The ever-increasing air pollution leads to the depletion of the ozone
- Green House Effect- The excessive amount of toxic gases like methane, CFC, and various oxides in the atmosphere leads to problems like greenhouses effects, global warming, and other environmental problems.
- Climate change– It is the biggest problem that our earth is suffering these days. Air pollution is responsible for the change in the climatic.
This shows that air pollution has an equal effect on man, animal, material, and environment.
How to Prevent and Control Air Pollution?
There are several ways to prevent air pollution-
- Reduce Smoking- Smoking is one of the major reasons for indoor air pollution. Reduction in the rate of smoking can reduce air pollution. Smoking is injurious to the health of humans and also to the health of this planet.
- Plant more trees- Planting more trees is one of the best ways to prevent and control air pollution. Support afforestation to restore earth’s health.
- Reduce the use of vehicles and try to practice carpooling, public transports, car sharing etc for transportation.
- Less use of air conditioners as they contain CFCs.
- Use Eco-friendly products at home like sprays, paints, glues, air fresheners, perfumes, etc.
- Factories and Industries should take various measures such as changing manufacturing process.
- Focus more on recycling and reusing of products. Instead of burning newspapers, clothes and other household waste recycle them.
- Practice sustainable development.
- Conserve energy as when a fuel is burnt to produce the energy it emits harmful substances that contaminate the air.
- Follow all the rules to prevent and control air pollution. Save natural resources as much as you can.
- Educate people and spread awareness.
If you want to add more information in the air pollution essay for kids then you can also read more about the earth day tips to save earth from dying.
Read >>> Earth Day Tips To Save Earth
A single step towards the prevention of air pollution by an individual is enough to bring a change. If we want to improve the quality of the air, we need to start at our houses.
This is an alarming situation and every human being needs to take action to stop and prevent this world from air pollution. Take the idea from the above essay on the topic of air pollution.
If you have your own points to add to air pollution essay for kids then you can tell us in the comment below and our team will review them. Also, don’t forget to like our Facebook page where we share an update of the latest article and new earth reminding stuff.