Earth Hour 2020: Theme, Logo and Facts
Learn about Earth Hour 2020 theme, logo and facts of the incredible global movement
Earth Hour, a wonderful effort taken across the world to save energy and the environment globally. Last year Earth hour was celebrated successfully at each corner of the planet. Now, we are moving to do the preparations for Earth Hour this year i.e. 2020. Earth Hour 2020 was held on 28th March, Saturday from 8:30 pm to 9:30 pm (Check local timings).
We will understand about earth hour 2020 in detail but first let’s take a quick look on facts and importance – All latest updates are below–
Table of Contents
Earth Hour day – Important Facts
- Earth Hour is a global event organized by WWF (World Wide Fund) for the conservation of our environment. This event is organized every year towards the end of March on a specified day.
- In 2019, it was organized on 30th March 2019 on Saturday from 8:30 pm to 9:30 pm. Now WWF has declared this Earth Hour events to be celebrated on 28th March 2020 at 8:30 pm for the one-hour duration.
- Earth Hour event was started in 2007 in Sydney, Australia as a light-off event. Now, with the growing popularity of this worldwide event, Earth Hour has succeeded to engage more than 7,000 cities & towns in 188 countries & territories across the world.
- Earth Hour is a global event organized every year by WWF to support the protection of nature.
- Earth Hour was started in 2007 in Sydney, Australia as an awareness campaign about climate change. In this event, more than 2.2 million people and 2,000 businesses have participated to switch off the light in support of Mother Nature.
- Later on, year after year, the Earth Hour campaign keeps on expanding and now it has become one of the biggest international environmental events.
- With the growing popularity of Earth Hour, in 2012 more than 7001 cities and towns in 152 countries & territories took part in this event.
- The standard Earth Hour logo is “60” that represents 60 minutes of Earth Hour. The new logo of Earth Hour is “60+” that represents the commitment from every single hand towards the protection of our planet.
- On Earth Hour, participants across the world switched-off electricity for 60 minutes to minimizing the consumption of energy.
- On Earth Hour 2017, the Philippines made this event successful by saving approximately 611MWh electricity consumption which is just equal to a dozen coal-fired power plants for 60 minutes.
- In 2018, WWF launched the Earth Hour campaign with theme #Connet2earth to encourage people to stay tuned in the conversation with the organization about uniqueness and diversity of life.
- Earth Hour is a very good event to spread awareness among people to implement preventive measures to protect our environment.
- We have to put maximum efforts to save natural resources for the upcoming generations in the future.
Also Check: Earth Hour 2023 latest events here.
“Latest Earth Hour Update 2020“ –
People from all over the world took part in the Earth hour 2020 and all were staying home safely, but many were celebrating by saving energy overall at home. Check below video of the highlights. All thanks to earthhour.org. #connect2earth.
- Switch off your lights today for an hour and keep social distancing to fight with corona virus. Participate online and keep your immunity system and family healthy. Together we can achieve more.
- Earth hour is going digital today, you can see changes here. Check below for official earth hour 2020 videos and updates.
- As the world is facing a health crisis of COVID-19 thus the Earth Hour Global Organizing team has recommended all the participants to join the event digitally.
- WWF-Philippines also has announced on Facebook that Earth Hour 2020 is going digital this year as social gatherings are not allowed due to corona virus.
- You can be a part of the Earth Hour 2020 global event by sitting at your home itself in various ways. For example – Switch of the lights for an hour, share your experience online, participate in Earth Hour challenges & contests online, etc. (Also check – “Energy saving tips for home and apartments“)
- More importantly, make sure to follow social distancing very seriously as health is wealth. Stay at home and pray for the world.
- As per the latest developments regarding COVID-19, an individual (who is willing to participate in any Public event of Earth Hour 2020) must follow the national health guidelines provided by his ministry of health.
- On 28th March at 8:30 pm local time the UAE is going to mark a digital Earth Hour for the first time due to the COVID-19 crisis worldwide.
- Kyambogo Environment Week will be celebrated in Kampala, Uganda in support of Earth Hour 2020. The main focus of this event is to spread awareness about climate change along with planting trees and cleaning up the environment.
- This year, London is going to perform a candlelit concert named “The Orchestra For The Earth”. This performance will be organized at St Saviour’s Church in Pimlico, London in support of Earth Hour 2020.
- The global event i.e. Earth Hour 2020 will invite millions of people around the world to sign their support online at Voice for the Planet. Later on, these signatures will be presented to the global leaders in an international forum like the United Nations General Assembly.
- Those who want to participate in Earth Hour day 2020 to spend an hour in the atmospheric surrounding can register themselves at here.
- According to the Ministry of Environment and Natural Resources – Earth hour will put more focus on reducing plastic uses on a daily basis.
“Update – earth hour news 2020” – As we are moving towards the celebration of another edition (14th) of Earth Hour in 2020, unfortunately, the excitement has been disturbed due to destructive bush-fire in Australia. Australian bushfire is a heart-touching phenomenon that killed more than 480 million innocent animals and approximately 25 people. This wildfire destroyed near about 8.4 million hectares area which is quite tough to regain. WWE-Australia has set an ambition to plant two billion trees by 2030. This plan will be executed mainly to help the wildlife destroyed in the bushfire and for the betterment of the environment as well.
“Update two – news of earth hour day 2020”
Earth Hour 2020 is one of the important years for the environment and Mother Earth. There is a minimum of five crucial international conferences will be held on major environmental topics like biodiversity, climate, sustainability, etc.
In these conferences, global leaders will take decisions on environmental issues to help the upcoming generations.
The CBD or Convention on Biological Diversity has set up a goal to be achieved by 2020. As per this set goal, CBD will work to make people aware of the values of biodiversity and the necessary steps to be taken for its conservation & sustainability usage.
Nominations for the champion of the Earth have been started from 20th January 2020. Every individual or organization that has contributed to conserve and protect the environment is invited to nominate in this championship. The nominations will be recognized based on four categories –
- Policy leadership
- Inspiration & action
- Entrepreneurial vision
- Science & innovation
Earth Hour 2020 – Benefits and Importance
- Earth hour helps in grabbing the attention of people across the world to understand their responsibilities toward nature. This global event asks for everyone’s attention to participate to switch-off the lights for one hour globally.
- The concept of Earth Hour is a positive initiative to encourage each individual and the govt. worldwide to share their contributions to this global event.
- Earth Hour spread awareness among people to put efforts to handle global issues like climate change, global warming, pollution, etc.
- Earth Hour motivates people to take action to save Mother Nature. Everybody’s participation will be counted towards the conservation of nature.
- Earth Hour helps to minimize carbon emission to some extent by switching the electricity for one hour.
- Earth hour 2020 has helped future generations to understand the climate change and how to save energy and resources.
Earth Hour 2020 Theme and Logo
Earthy Hour 2020 will be organized with an objective. The main focus of this year Earth Hour will be on eliminating single-use of plastic which is one of the major causes for marine life contamination. The focus will also be on preserving biodiversity and nature along with preventing climate change.
The Earth Hour 2020 theme will focus on “Climate Action” and sustainable development.
It is a big challenge for the world to tackle but also a great opportunity to minimize carbon emission. Climate action will be an unforgettable theme for Earth hour 2020 where millions of people will unite to do something creative and innovative to save the environment to save life.
Earth hour 2020 logo – it is not yet updated by WWF. However, the logo for Earth hour was the same every year to date. It is expected to be the same for Earth Hour 2020 as well.
13 successful years of the global event – Earth Hour Day
- Earth Hour 2007
This was the first event to celebrate on 31st March 2007 at 7:30 pm (local time) as the switch-off movement in Sydney, Australia. In this event, almost 2.2 million homes & businesses were participated to encourage the movement of WWF.
- Earth Hour 2008
In 2008 the Earth Hour movement was organized internationally on 29th March 2008 from 8:00 pm to 9:00 pm (local time). 35 countries were participating in this event around the world. The tagline used for the event was “we’ve turned the lights out. Now it’s your turn-Earth Hour.”
- Earth Hour 2009
28th March was the day to celebrate Earth Hour in 2009 from 8:30 pm to 9:30 pm (local time). “Vote Earth” was the name for the campaign for this year.
- Earth Hour 2010
Earth Hour 2010 was held on 27th March from 8:30 pm to 9:30 pm (local time). The participation was increased worldwide in which almost 121 countries and territories were taken part.
- Earth Hour 2011
The campaign in the year 2011 organized with a tagline “Beyond the Hour”. This was one of the biggest events in the 5-year history of Earth Hour celebration in which around 135 countries participated on 26th March.
- Earth Hour 2012
The campaign for the year 2012 was named “I will if you will” was organized on 31st March from 8:30 pm to 9:30 pm (local time). Participation increased up to 152 countries and territories in the world.
- Earth Hour 2013
In 2013 the Earth Hour event was held on 23rd March from 8:30 pm to 9:30 pm (local time). This year, the world’s very first “Earth Hour Forest” was started in Uganda to save lands.
- Earth Hour 2014
In 2014 the Earth Hour was organized on 29th March at the same time from 8:30 pm to 9:30 pm local time. “Earth Hour Blue” was launched as a new digital platform to support the conservation of the planet.
- Earth Hour 2015
The campaign was launched with the name of “Change Climate Change” this year. On 28th March the day was celebrated as Earth Day on the same local timings i.e. from 8:30 pm to 9:30 pm.
- Earth Hour 2016
In the year 2016, participation across the globe has increased a lot of almost 178 countries and territories in the world. On 19th March 2016, Saturday “PlaceWeLOve” was launched by World Wide Fund-Australia.
- Earth Hour 2017
25th March 2017 is noticed as the Earth Hour from 8:30 pm to 9:30 pm to support switch-off light movement globally. #EarthHourTrend was followed.
- Earth Hour 2018
In 2018 the enthusiasm level of the participants was quite high around the world. On 24th March the Earth Hour took place in 2018 on the same local time as mentioned above. Theme was “Let Nature Shine”.
In this year, the global event was celebrated on 30th March 2019 from 8:30 pm to 9:30 pm. Miss Earth 2018 from Vietnam was the ambassador for the event this year. Theme was “Reduce, Rethink and Change the way we live”. This was the 13th edition of Earth hour celebrated in 2019. This year more than 180 countries participated in support of the Earth Hour 2019.
A huge enthusiasm was observed from different cities across the globe in support of this global event last year. The lights were turned off for this one hour starting from Eiffel Tower, the Sydney Opera House in Paris to the ancient Acropolis in Athen.
In Hong Kong also, the Symphony of Lights was cancelled on Earth Hour 2019 which is one of the main tourist attractions. There are many other examples that prove every individual understands his responsibility towards environmental protection.
Earth Hour Day – Expectations in future
It is one of the biggest environmental events globally. It is an international event organized by WWF and anyone from any city, any country, and any continent can take part in this event. More the participants more will be the outcome of the Earth Hour movement.
Every year the number of participants is increasing worldwide which itself expresses the success story of the event so far. Earth Hour day 2020 will make a difference in the future to handle the major environmental issues like climate change, global warming, pollution, deforestation etc.
Do not miss to attend the electrifying global event. Participate in the event to show your care and love for our beautiful planet.