Education is the most powerful and dominant weapon which one can use to change the world, perhaps been proven by many other scholars around the world which is why we need to educate ourselves about the importance of environmental education in order make the world a better place to live in. Before going deep into environmental education, we will understand the concept behind it all together.
When we talk about education, it is very important to understand why environmental education is important? Let us remind ourselves that we are responsible for how we shape our environment because only by creating awareness about the harmful effects of environmental damage can help us build a safe and secure future for our children.
When we are educated about the environment, we must identify our responsibility as global citizens and make a positive change for our planet earth which will help us utilize our resources more efficiently and without harming our environment as well.
Below are some of the beneficial points of imparting Environmental Education to our children-
IMPORTANCE OF ENVIRONMENTAL EDUCATION
- Educational Achievements – By providing environmental education to students they will engage problem-solving techniques of the outer world and which can also be applied to their subjects to understand a particular problem by implying outdoor environmental solutions.
- Health Benefits – Environmental Education gives students a new meaning to explore mother nature and see and resolve the issues which are harmful to the environment and this will also help them in maintaining their own health by doing physical work and their bodies will be immune from some serious health issues such as short-sightedness, obesity and in some cases even lack of concentration.
- Future proof planning – This is one of the issues which we need to deal with because if we don’t educate our kids about the hazardous effects of environmental damage there will be no future of the world.
- Education in this field will give students a new meaning to problem-solving techniques as they will solve the real-world problems and they will also be thinking beyond just to make things work for today and investigate the situation carefully and take preventive measures in the future for environmental safeguarding.
- Managing teams – Working in teams is another example of Environmental education as it gives kids a new meaning to solve a certain problem by doing teamwork. This will also bring out the leadership qualities in them as they will have to lead the path for their team to stop people in producing garbage and spread awareness to others as well about the use of non-plastic goods for the betterment of the environment.
- Producing Environment Activist – It is about time we educate students to take this initiative as a major part of their life by encouraging them to become an activist for the environment and stop others from harming the environment by creating platforms for the awareness for the need and importance of environmental education in each and every part of the society.
- Improving concentration – Nowadays there are a lot of distractions in a society which diverts the attention of students from their education to some other side. By educating them about the environment they will be able to focus more on the real problems of the world as they will be the ones analyzing and solving the problems of the environment to promote more greenery everywhere.
- Benefiting the Schools – It’s a very beneficial plan for the schools as well because it will help them in promoting real-life learning and understanding their surroundings which is a new breakthrough in learning any situation better and more easily.
- Participating in Outdoor activities – This is perhaps very useful for the health of children because it has been proven that kids who have a green playground in their school premises are more likely to get less sick and be more active and energetic in daily life.
- Promoting New Educating methods – Environmental Education is more of the task which is to be done every day by students as well as teachers which will encourage them to take outdoor practice as how to conserve the environment and learn new innovative techniques to help them understand conservation more easily.
- Cutting back on expenses – Learning how to protect the environment will require students to participate in maintaining the school as well which will be beneficial for the school as it will reduce the maintenance cost of the surrounding which will automatically cut back on the annual cost of overall expenses.
- Encouraging more institutions – If more organizations will adopt environmental education as their priority then there will more kids as well as adults who will help in conserving the environment and also help in creating more awareness amongst others.
- It is very important for educational institutes to start teaching students how to safeguard our environment and save natural resources.
- Adapting technology – There are various measures which are used by technology and advancement in conserving the environment and also help in promoting huge platforms such as the online campaign to create awareness on this matter, which will bring people together on environment education promotion.
- Promoting Sustainability -Environmental Education helps in building the natural world gives knowledge and method to solve complex environmental issues which also gives advancement to productive economies and harmony among communities.
These are just some of the benefits if we educate students about the importance of environmental education and we should also educate the whole world about it.
NEPA and Famous Environmentalists
Let’s understand some of the important measures taken to promote environmental education – The National Environment Policy Act (NEPA) is one such law that is enacted by the United States of America which promotes environment enhancement, it was formed on 1st January 1970. Since then 100 nations have joined to form the national environmental policies as done by the (NEPA).
These measures have led the Federal Agencies to set an example of making national highways routes as the shortest possible between two points.
NEPA had the most useful environment outcome when all the executive federal agencies were asked to prepare environmental assessments and environmental impact statements report. These gave the accurate effects of proposed Federal Agencies actions.
Around the world there have been a lot of very famous environmentalists such as Marjory Stoneman Douglas (Journalist, Environmental Activist) Leonardo DiCaprio (Film Actor, Environmental Activist), Thom Yorke (Songwriter, Environmental Activist), Theodore Roosevelt (U.S President, Military Leader, Environmental Activist), etc. to give positive impact on Importance of environmental education in our world.
In the end, its all up to us how much are we willing to save the environment around the world because if we don’t start to educate ourselves and our children according to the need of safeguarding our society then we will be too late to give our future generations “a future” of their own and world as we know it will change forever.