Our environment plays a critical role in the survival of several living organisms. In simple words, we can define the environment as our surroundings with several biotic and abiotic components. Thus, it is clear that environmental studies are vital for spreading awareness and finding ways to protect it.
It refers to a systematic study of the environment and its physical, biological, social, cultural, and natural factors.
You can say environmental studies are all about learning how we should protect our environment with sustainable strategies.
It is contradictory to environmental science, which mainly focuses on the scientific component of environmental issues.
Environmental Studies explains the causes, effects, and solutions for environmental problems. Human activities, such as pollution and deforestation, have seriously impacted the environment, just as Earthquakes and tsunamis do on the environment.
Table of Contents
Why Do We Need Environmental Studies?
- Pollution, Growing population, deforestation, depletion of natural resources, and other disasters are behind environmental concerns. An individual or government cannot maintain environmental sustainability alone. We all should have a contribution to its protection from damage.
- For the proper guidance on the values, skills, knowledge, and tools to work against the challenges, both formal and informal environmental education methods are needed.
- To prepare the present generation for environmental protection, we need environmental studies.
- With the continuous diminishing of the earth’s resources, it is for sure that something has to be done.
- Now the time has come when every citizen of the world has to be aware and actively participate in protecting this beautiful environment.
Importance of Environmental Studies:
To understand the impacts of development:
Environmental Studies assists in understanding the current environmental problems by providing knowledge of physical, chemical, social, and biological processes. It is not a hidden fact that development resulting in Urbanization; Industrial growth has a negative impact on the environment.
With the rise in development globally, there is a great pace in the exploitation of resources. Humans use the lands and woods to make their businesses grow, but they are not thinking of the consequences.
Humans have to understand the importance of the environment, which has provided the world to live freely; This can not be achieved just by educating students or educated persons. Every human has to come forward to get the knowledge.
Before the onset of modern civilization, the natural environment’s overall health and efficiency were not bad. But now the environment has started degrading.
Furthermore, we can learn about the requirements and benefits of the decentralization of several industries by studying environmental science. This aims to achieve all this sustainably without disturbing the flow.
To understand environmental problems:
Disasters such as climate change, acid rains, floods, and tsunamis also involve human interference. Humans have to understand their mistakes and find the solutions to correct them and protect the environment.
Just stopping the development is not the solution, but minimizing the use of resources can be the solution.
Various critical environmental issues include global warming, acid rain, ozone depletion, pollution, etc. can also be recognized and solved, resulting in global problems.
Environmentalists all over the world are constantly seeking a sustainable solution. So, combined efforts from the world are needed to face these problems. There is a need for the careful use of natural resources to establish sustainability.
We need to create awareness by learning about several ecological problems:
- Most of the environmental issues take place as a result of irresponsibility and unawareness of the effects.
- Several activities can be conducted in educational institutes to provide an idea about the harmful effects of environmental damage and how we can reverse the effects.
- Awareness programs can spread awareness among students mostly against the use of plastics or environmental pollution and their contribution to such ecological damages.
Environmental studies aim to educate people with the necessary environmental skills to create awareness. With the increase in development, the competition is also increasing in the industries.
But If these competitors are aware of the environmental problems, they can work according to the mindset of protecting the environment. They can even use this to defeat their competitors in marketing by promoting their way of working for the environment.
In a digital world where everything is going digital, we have more options on how to reach more people. Thus, we can spread awareness by creating content and making campaigns on social media and other similar platforms. Many NGOs are coming forward to make locals aware of environmental problems and solutions. These efforts will definitely add some improvements to the environmental conditions.
If Humans become aware of the environmental issues and become serious about it, then the environment will not get affected.
Keep special care on ways to conserve biodiversity:
Biodiversity is the pillar that allows ecosystems to function and humans to survive. Another essential part of environmental education is the study of biodiversity. Biodiversity serves as a backbone to maintain ecological sustainability on earth. Without biodiversity, we could not imagine life on earth.
This can be conserved by:
- Using organic foods.
- Avoiding useless drainage of water on your property.
- Using sustainable seafood.
- By Conserving our natural resources.
- Through the use of natural goods and methods for pest control.
- By conserving water and reducing irrigation.
- Studying and grasping more about evolutionary relationships between several species in an ecosystem and its major components.
- By giving priority to eco-friendly products.
To utilize natural resources efficiently:
Natural resources such as air, water, oil, and minerals are getting depleted day by day. Lack of management skills leads to a loss of natural resources.
Every individual should learn about the importance of these resources. We should also consider appropriate action plans in our day to day lives so that we can sustain our nature and its resources effortlessly.
Non-renewable sources of energy are the major source of the world’s pollution. The use of renewable sources, like solar energy, wind energy, etc., has to be encouraged as these are effective in the fight against global warming.
We can effectively utilize our natural resources by the following steps:
- We should add value to our natural assets.
- Using the right tools to explore resources. Incorporating appropriate tools and techniques for discovering resources and limiting exploitation.
- For grasping the phenotypic characters of organisms.
Environmental studies help us to understand the importance of our environment. To live sustainably and find the best way of utilizing our natural resources, we must study it.
Further, we can understand the behavioural and phylogenetic relationships between several organisms and their species and helps to maintain balance in the food chain and food webs of the ecosystem.
In India, University Grant Commission (UGC) has made environmental studies a common discipline for all departments to increase awareness among youngsters. Now everyone has to live with an aim in their life to protect our environment and use the available resources effectively.