Why Is Earth Day Celebrated? Introduction:
Earth ranks as the third planet from the sun in the solar system and is the only one to have life. It provides all the essential required supplements for the existence and survival of living creatures. On 22nd April 1970, a group of USA executives made a network to deliver a gesture of gratitude to Mother Earth and work on the planet’s recovery from pollution and other problems.
The collaboration reached millions of people joining hands together. 20 million people in the United States marched in a rally to raise their voice against the environmental degradation, the lack of education, irresponsible behavior, etc., happening in society. US Senator Gaylord Nelson has been the thinking mind behind the same. This day proved very beneficial from an environmental point of view. Therefore, every year on 22nd April, this day came to recognition as International Earth Day.
Due to Earth Day, society has become more aware of the need to protect the planet. Earth Day is thus celebrated across 193 countries of the globe as a prestigious event. It is the realization of the “kind giving” of the planet for human beings and other creatures.
Table of Contents
Why Is It Important to Celebrate Earth Day?
We exist because Earth exists. The atmosphere, climate, and conditions are favorable to human beings and other living creatures. Working ecosystems also work because of the right events and the law of nature. Due to the growing Industrialization and other technical improvements somewhere, our actions are not in favor of the planet.
The increase in pollution and the decision for deforestation have made our world feel vulnerable. The ignorance of the atmosphere by human beings is increasing rapidly. Therefore, On 22nd April, Earth Day must be celebrated to spread awareness and educate society about their inappropriate actions that can harm the environment in the upcoming days.
Moreover, when the first Earth Day was celebrated, the event’s impact was huge. Clean Air Act, Clean Water Act, NO plastics, avoid deforestation, and other initiatives emerged due to the Earth Day celebration. Awareness is always the best tool to eradicate any problem for society. Hence, Earth Day provides a new perception to cross-check our deed and their impacts on the planet.
On 22nd April 2020, Earth celebrated its 50th Earth Day. The remarkable growth in the condition of the environment post-pandemic is the new vision to excel in our activities for its protection.
Since then, Earth Day has become more important. Each year, more and more people join the cause of helping our planet. We still have a lot of big problems, such as climate change, plastic waste, and the loss of nature. But we see good changes too.
People are using less plastic and recycling more. There are a lot of countries that are making laws to protect the environment. They are trying to reduce the amount of pollution that comes from cars and factories. This helps clean the air and water.
Environmental education is taught in schools and communities. There is talk about saving water, planting trees, and using less electricity. These small steps make a big difference.
In recent years, Earth Day has brought important changes. In 2021, it focused on restoring earth, which led to tree planting and cleanups. Both 2022 and 2023 had the theme “Invest in Our Planet,” encouraging governments and businesses to fund environmentally friendly projects. During these Earth Days, the importance of collective action was emphasized in order to combat climate change and promote sustainable practices.
Earth Day reminds us to protect our home. It is a day to learn, share, and act. It is in our hands to make our world a better place for us and for future generations. And, this is why Earth Day is celebrated.
Different Ways to Celebrate Earth Day on An Individual Level
Check main Earth Day celebration ideas in 2024:
- Plant trees: Trees are always a friendly and supportive gesture for the environment. As the body is for humans, the tree is for the planet. We need to protect trees as they fight global warming, and most importantly, they provide us with oxygen.
- Deforestation for building houses and complexes is never a heroic act and a good decision to be made. Cutting trees leads to a deficiency of many supplements for survival. If one is concerned about the environment, they should never cut an integral part of the same. So, plant a tree on Earth Day and contribute to nature’s beauty.
- Avoid Water Utilization: Though Earth has an abundance of water content on the surface, the ratio of drinking water to that of the entire water resource is less. We need to preserve it.
- Water pollution leads to disturbances in many aquatic and marine ecosystems, which is unacceptable. Preserve water, initiate the rainwater harvesting, and others aware about the same not daily but at least on Earth Day. A drop in preservation could supplement a need for somebody else.
- Spread Awareness: Social media is a great platform to spread awareness these days. One can initiate a movement to save water, plants, clean beaches, and contribute to many other earth-friendly activities. When you educate the people, many hands will join and support the natural upbringing and will improve the condition.
- Join the Communities: There are many revolutionary communities situated that work together for environmental issues. If genuinely one is concerned about nature, join such an initiative and contribute your helping hand for the same. By organizing rallies, dramas, roadside awareness, and other events, groups spread intellectualism and gratitude to the environment. The live events, plantation activities, deforestation opposing events, and NO vehicle days are the major activities of such communities.
- Maintain Cleanliness: For keeping something fresh and regenerative, it is vital to keep it clean. The garbage spread observed at the tourist spots, beaches, mountains, and other beautiful places on earth is not acceptable to maintain its quality.
- The release of chemicals in the air and water by factories is an environment-degrading act. The cleanliness and hygiene should be maintained at the home place (indoor) and outdoor premises. A proper disposal system at public places and tourist places must be accepted by the people and the governing agency over there.
- Take responsibility for yourself: Make sure that you aren’t exploiting natural resources and behaving inappropriately for nature on your behalf. Be a reliable member of the earth’s ecosystem, think wisely, and act wisely. As long as we take care of the environment, the environment will take care of us as well. We, individuals, are responsible for the circumstances that will emerge due to irresponsible gestures shown towards planet Earth.
- Support Local and Sustainable Products: You can celebrate Earth Day by buying local, sustainable products. You can do this by shopping at local farmers’ markets or buying Eco-friendly stuff. Transporting goods over long distances creates a carbon footprint, so supporting local businesses helps reduce that. Furthermore, using sustainable products helps reduce waste and conserve natural resources.
- Engage in Eco-Friendly Transportation: Use Eco-friendly transport like walking, cycling, or public transit on Earth Day. By doing this, you’re not only reducing your carbon footprint, but also living a healthier lifestyle. If you can, use these modes of transportation more often. It’s a small change that can reduce air pollution and save energy.
Being a reliable citizen and a secure organism on Earth, we must think about our surviving land. Around 3 billion people join the events and contribute to Earth Day.
22nd April Earth Day is a revolution to bring awareness and eradicate the ignorance of planet Earth. It’s possible to restore nature’s original beauty if we change our environmental harming habits.
In order to preserve the quality of resources, it is important to encourage their use and to make them sparingly available. There will be many generations coming and going in the future, and Earth needs to supply them all. We should keep the quality of nature in the future so that it can provide for the next generation. Hence, Earth Day is an idealistic movement to think about and act in response to nature.