Global Recycling Day 2023: Themes, Events, and Ideas
Global Recycling Day 2023: If we wish to leave this environment to upcoming generations, we must practice recycling. It’s excellent for the world. We should recycle waste into valuable new things. The first step in recycling is to do it at your own house. If you are recycling, you reuse objects for something useful.
Most substances have a high potential for reuse and recycling. It is possible to recycle about 75% of garbage. This is only possible if it’s done in the right way. Every year, a Global Recycling Day, also known as World Recycling Day, is held to raise awareness of recycling and influence people worldwide.
Table of Contents
- 1 When is Global Recycling Day?
- 2 Global Recycling Day Themes
- 3 Events and Activities
- 4 Global Recycling Day 2023 Ideas
- 4.1 Join The Campaign for World Recycling Day
- 4.2 Fashion Shows with Costumes Made from Recycled Materials
- 4.3 Walks To Promote the Importance of Recycling
- 4.4 Encourage People to Recycle
- 4.5 Dispose Of Things Properly
- 4.6 Those Who Recycle Should Be Thanked
- 4.7 Spend Money More Wisely
- 4.8 Implement 3R’s At Home
- 5 Conclusion
When is Global Recycling Day?
Annually, March 18th is designated as Global Recycling Day to raise understanding of the people about how our environment is harmed due to plastic. The day also raises awareness of recycling as an idea and an important concept. People host events throughout the year to raise awareness of their cause.
On March 18th, 2018, Global Recycling Day was established. People throughout the globe were encouraged to recycle. There have been thousands of events around the world. People posted on social media to promote these campaigns, and thousands and thousands of individuals participated in these campaigns. This has created a discussion on a global level on recycling routines among everyone, from global leaders to companies to individual citizens.
A total of 23 Global Recycling Day activities occurred throughout the world when the day was observed for the first time. Picking up garbage, media interviews, and family-friendly activities was part of the campaign. It resulted in a big event on London’s Carnaby Avenue. A total of 10,000 participants visited the activities. This ensured that the concept of recycling was widely spreading.
Global Recycling Day Themes
The focus of Global Recycling Day is different every year. A few of the previous year’s themes include:
- For 2019:
“Recycling into the Future” was the main subject in 2019. Firms around the world and creative people were also invited to participate in this effort of recycling. It aimed to exchange innovative thoughts and ideas for better recycling procedures in the long term.
- For 2020 and 2021:
“Recycling Heroes” was the focus in 2020 and 2021. One of its main goals was to show off the achievements, accomplishments, and contributions of people who have contributed to making a change in society. Carbon pollution has been reduced by almost 700 million metric tonnes annually because of recycling. The recycling business employs more than 1.6 million individuals throughout the globe. The amount of money recycled each year is expected to rise to $400 billion by the end of this decade.
- For 2022
In 2022, Global Recycling Day’s theme was the recycling fraternity. It was a call to action for everyone to work together for a more sustainable future. Each of us has a role to play in recycling, whether at home, at work or in our surroundings.
Working together, recycling fraternities ensure that the maximum amount of material can be reused or recycled. The goal is to be part of the solution instead of the problem. As a society, we need to change our attitude towards waste so that we see it as a resource that can be re-used. By promoting recycling as a communal effort, we can ensure that our planet remains healthy and clean.
- For 2023
The theme of Global Recycling Day 2023 is Creative Innovation. When it comes to recycling, we all have to be creative. In order to do it effectively, we need to think outside the box. Putting our recyclables in the bin is not sufficient – we need to be proactive and find new ways to reduce, reuse, and recycle.
Upcycling is one way you can be creative and innovative in your recycling efforts. It involves transforming waste into something creative and useful. For example, you could upcycle a pair of jeans into a cushion cover or a t-shirt into a bag. Upcycling offers endless possibilities, so get creative!
Composting is another innovative way to recycle. By composting your food waste, you can enrich your garden’s soil with nutrients and reduce food waste. You can compost at home using a simple bin. Regardless, recycling is a great way to help the environment. Let’s all pledge today that we will be more creative and innovative when it comes to recycling.
Events and Activities
Annually, the authorities or people of that specific country hold many events and activities on recycling. Let’s look at some of them more closely.
- Recycle Of Cooking Oil (Barcelona) – To avoid cooking oil from polluting rivers and blocking up sewers, officials in Barcelona have begun giving out their “olipots” oil pots.
- Reversed Vending Machines (U.S) – People of North Carolina may exchange their used bottles and cans for points and rewards at “Dream Machines” located around the state.
- Recreated Street Furniture (Argentina) – Recyclable trash has been transformed into street furniture in a program funded by a recycling firm. The project aimed to show the public that waste materials such as paper, metal cans, and tetra-brick can be recycled and repurposed.
- Composting Law (San Francisco) – By enacting the first required composting ordinance in the United States in 2009, the city increased its efforts to reduce trash further.
- Swachh Survekshan Initiative (India) – As part of its annual clean city initiative, Swachh Survekshan recognizes the best-maintained city each year. Since 2011, Indore city has won that accolade, and recycling is a key part of that success. Efficiency in garbage collection at the point of generation has been a major goal of the Indore Municipal Corporation.
The town has implemented a six-bin garbage disposal system, which comprises dumpsters for dry trash, bio-waste, plastic garbage, e-waste, home hygienic waste, and household toxic waste at the site or the domestic site level. The goal is to speed up the process of recycling, composting, and discarding garbage while also making the process simpler.
To avoid further polluting our world, we are encouraged to reuse and recycle the current plastic. Our plastic materials should be used wisely to get the least possible effect on the environment. You can further visit official website for latest news.
Global Recycling Day 2023 Ideas
The following are some ideas for educating individuals on the value of recycling and reusing in their daily activities and lives:
Join The Campaign for World Recycling Day
Now is the time to act. You’re sending a message to the rest of the planet by joining World Recycling Day. You’re also helping people to spread their ideas. Joining the campaigns will be a motivation for people around you as well.
Fashion Shows with Costumes Made from Recycled Materials
Host recycled clothes show if you want people to be excited about both recycling and fashion. You could even make it superhero-themed. To arrange a show or activity at a nearby college by allowing participants to make their costumes with recyclable materials will be a great initiative.
Walks To Promote the Importance of Recycling
The organizing committee of Global Recycling Day events wants people to run a marathon to show how important it is to recycle. T-shirts with the Global Recycling Day logo and different slogans could be made and given to volunteers during a run or walk.
Encourage People to Recycle
Educating students about the advantages of recycling could be a great deal of fun. Everyone pays attention when you talk about saving the environment. Educate people around you when you meet them about the advantages of recycling.
Dispose Of Things Properly
Is it so difficult to put the correct items in the correct Dustbins? No, it’s not. Most of the time, we do not throw waste correctly. The waste disposal industry calls this pollution. The worst part is that it’s happening right now. If you recycle the incorrect thing, a whole truck’s of recyclables will go into landfills. Our plastic resources are being collected in this manner and are really harmful.
Those Who Recycle Should Be Thanked
Use social media platforms like Instagram, Facebook, or WhatsApp to thank everybody who participates in recycling and encourages others to do the same. People that make recycling a priority in their everyday lives deserve recognition. Don’t forget to thank them with a compliment or an encouraging remark when you can.
Spend Money More Wisely
Consider purchasing environmentally friendly items. Buying metallic bottles and not plastic ones will make all the difference. It’s essential to dump waste properly so that it is recycled in a correct manner.
Implement 3R’s At Home
You can easily follow 3R’s in your daily life.
- Reduce: Get yourself free of every product you bought, used, and tossed out fast. For instance, when shopping, use cloth bags. You can bring this cloth bag again and again for the same purpose. In this way, you are reducing the purchase of new bags.
- Reuse: Use the water you wash your veggies and fruits with to water your plants. You can collect it in a bucket. In this way, you will save a lot of water daily.
- When recycling, do not throw newspapers, old books, clothes, etc. We can recycle these things, and fewer trees will be cut down if all papers are recycled in the future. In today’s world, it is possible to use a soft copy, such as email, word document, PDF, etc., in place of hard copy.
In how many situations have you faced this problem? Will the amount of trash you throw out every day not harm the environment? Yes, it definitely will. The importance of this has already been discussed in detail. There are many reasons why recycling is good for the planet. Recycling is important because it helps in fighting against global warming. It cuts carbon emissions while also protecting the natural environment.
If you like this international recycling day article, raise awareness among your friends and family members by sharing this article. You can further use #RecyclingHeroes to promote it on social media.