Earth Day is celebrated to create awareness among people to solve various problems like climate changes, pollutions, activate various environment movement and awareness programs, conservation of natural resources, protection of endangered species and move towards a sustainable future.
The top priority of people behind celebrating this event is the protection of the environment. It is an annual event observed on 22nd April every year with a new theme.
People around the world come together to celebrate this environmental movement with great enthusiasm.
Those who are searching for information on Earth Day, they can get it here on this article and also on Earth day wiki.
Read some interesting facts about Earth day in this article and take positive action for the support and protection of Earth.
Table of Contents
How did earth day start?
Earth Day was founded by Gaylord Nelson who was then a US senator. The idea to celebrate a National Day in the form of Earth day was propounded after a historic event of the enormous oil spill at Santa Barbara, California in the year 1969 took place that caused huge devastation. Students started an anti-war movement in the country.
Nelson got inspired by the student movement and get an idea to use the power of student movement to spread awareness environmental protection in the world.
To promote the idea across the nation a team of 52 people was formed and 22nd April was selected as the date to start the environmental movement.
On 22nd April 1970, first Earth Day was observed when around 20 million American took streets, parks, auditoriums, and other public places to demonstrate support for a sustainable environment and a better Earth.
Supporters of Democratic and Republic parties supported this demonstration along with people from every group and class of society.
With time in the year, 1990 Earth Day went global and as we can see that it is now celebrated as a global event for the protection of the earth.
Earth day themes
Every earth day is marked with a specific theme each year.
Have a look at Earth day themes of last few years-
- Earth Day 2007 – “Be kind to the earth – starting from saving resources”
- Earth Day 2008 – “Trees Please”
- Earth Day 2009 – “How Do You Get Around”
- Earth Day 2010 – “Reduce”
- Earth Day 2011 – “Clear the Air”
- Earth Day 2012 – “Mobilize the Earth”
- Earth Day 2013 – “The Face of Climate Change”
- Earth Day 2014 – “Green Cities”
- Earth Day 2015 – “Water Wonderful World” and “Clean Earth – Green Earth”
- Earth Day 2016 – “Trees for the Earth”
- Earth Day 2017 – “Environmental and Climate Literacy”
- Earth Day 2018 – “End Plastic Pollution”
Earth Day theme for 2019 is to save and protect all the species that exist on this planet. With increasing pollution and due to climatic changes number of species of plants and animals have become endangered.
All the species of plants, animals and marine life are equally necessary for maintaining a healthy ecological balance on Earth.
Mother Earth is under huge environmental crises and a strict action needs to be taken for its conservation and all the species living in it.
Keeping the earth day 2019 theme in mind humans need to stop wildlife crime and should protect all the species for the better health of this planet.
There is a number of activities like fishing, hunting, poaching, deforestation, urbanization, industrialization, plastic pollution, use of chemicals, oil spills etc. which are responsible for the extinction of several species.
Humans should not forget that all the species that exist on this planet are equally important for maintaining the balance in the ecosystem.
Earth has given alot to us and therefore we need to appreciate it.
Earth day facts
Have a look at some Earth Day facts shared below-
- Earth Day was initially started in the United States of America and went global in 1990 and the internet was one of the biggest tools behind making it a global event.
- Earth Day is now celebrated across 193 countries of the world.
- All the Earth Day events across the world are managed and coordinated by Earth Day Network.
- More than 2 million people die prematurely around the world due to air pollution (indoor or outdoor).
- Around 3.1 million jobs are generated just by recycling, reuse, and manufacturing in the US.
- The population of birds has declined by 75% in the last 30 years.
- 50% of the world’s tropical and temperate forests did not exist now. This has affected the lives of the inhabitants badly.
- In the past 30 years, half (50%) of the world’s coral reef has
- One in every four mammals that exist on this planet is at the risk of extinction.
- 2020 will mark the 50th anniversary of Earth Day.
- Earth Day Flag was created by Ron Cob who was a cartoonist.
- Earth Day Anthem is composed by Abhay Kumar from India.
Importance of earth day
Earth Day is of great importance. It is because day by day the condition of the earth is getting worse and it is a day which reminds us to work for the protection of this planet.
It is the day that inspires millions of people to do something positive in order to make Earth a better place to live.
Earth day is celebrated to honor the Mother Earth and therefore it should be appreciated.
When is earth day 2019
Earth Day 2019 is going to be celebrated on Monday, 22nd April 2019 as every year.
The theme of Earth Day 2019 will be the protection of all the species.
The coming Earth will be focused on reminding humans about the duty to protect species of various plants, animals, birds, and other living organisms.
How earth day is celebrated?
Earth Day can be celebrated in different ways. There are not particular ways to celebrate earth day. Various activities are performed in support of earth on this day. It is not necessary that you need to do something big to show your support in this environmental movement. You can give your contribution and start just from planting a tree or just by switching off the light bulb when not required.
The different ways of celebrating Earth Day include-
- Learning about Earth and about ways to protect it.
- Spreading awareness and encouraging people about environment protection.
- Attending Earth day events like rallies, demonstration, earth day fair, seminars, etc.
- Planting trees at house, locality and other areas.
- Making a commitment to reduce the use and wastage of electricity, water, and other natural resources.
- Organizing Cleanliness drive in localities, community, beaches and other places wherever it is needed.
- Going Organic.
- Reduce waste
- Using eco-friendly products
- Performing Recycling activities
- Eating Eco-friendly food and food from the local
Lastly, we all should not forget that every day is Earth Day and should work for its better health. A little initiative towards the protection and betterment of Earth can help in creating a sustainable future.