Table of Contents
IMPORTANCE OF REFORESTATION
Understanding importance of reforestation is necessary as the world we live in will not be the same if it weren’t for the forests which are spread across the globe in each and every continent because they play a vital role in our survival on this planet.
One of the major factors is that they convert carbon dioxide into oxygen which is our mean of survival if it weren’t for the forests, we would have been extinct from this planet a long time ago.
Despite the fact that trees are very important in our existence we still are destroying greenery by cutting down trees recklessly without even considering that one day, if we continue to destroy the natural forests around it, will result in deforestation all around the world which means there will be no fresh air to breathe in and all of us will be responsible for it.
Now let’s understand what is Reforestation? it is the process of replantation of trees in fields which were destroyed by humans or some natural calamity to restore the environment to its natural form.
The importance of Reforestation arises when there is deforestation done on land which means the cutting down of green trees and then using the land fields for the use which are not related to forestry, which creates an imbalance in the environment and causes the environment inhabitable for humans as well as wildlife animals.
People around the world are now coming together to support this initiative to regrow trees and are becoming aware of the significance of reforestation and are helping to plant more and more trees on the lands which have lost all its natural ability to regrow trees and are badly affected by deforestation.
IMPORTANCE OF REFORESTATION IN OUR LIVES
- The world we live in is changing rapidly in an adverse manner, these harmful changes are usually around the world in many different forms of situations such as global warming which results in polar ice caps being melted down and making a sudden rise in sea level.
- Ozone layer depletion which allows the harmful rays of the sun to enter the earth’s atmosphere and damaging it. Our planet is facing a crisis and we are the cause of all the damage and it is up to us to restore the earth as it was decades ago, our need of demand and supply has cost us our resources and have brought this planet at the verge of extinction.
- Only through Reforestation we can save earth and it has been proven to be the only solution to all the problems related to environment, it is seen that some of the animal species have already been extinct due to the climate change around the world as the changing climate forces animals to come out of their habitat and migrate to someplace safe this caused a lot of loss in biodiversity.
- The emission of carbon dioxide in the atmosphere is one of the major causes of greenhouse effect. Its increasing amount in the air is making the atmosphere unbreathable to everyone.
- Because of deforestation metropolitan cities are facing some of the worst climatic conditions as there is pollution from industries which produce harmful smoke, pollution from vehicles, burning of garbage within the city. Here the importance of reforestation arises as plants turn carbon dioxide into oxygen and they also help in precipitation which reduces the temperature of the surface.
- Forests help in converting carbon dioxide into oxygen which not only makes the air fresh and breathable they also reduce the effect of other harmful gases present in the atmosphere.
- When planned reforestation is done in a particular area it reduces the chances of global warming, this is only achievable through reforestation. The amount of carbon emission in our environment is very harmful and when deforestation takes place the hazardous effects of this gas rises this problem is only controlled by plants hence, reforestation is vital for our existence.
- Animals habitats are the most affected when destroying the forest in name of development so it makes our duty to restore their natural habitats the process of reforestation makes it possible to create homes for wildlife animals as many of the animals have already extinct and so have the endangered plants. Deforestation is the worst thing we can do to a region as it totally destroys the vegetation and wildlife and creates an ecological imbalance.
UNDERSTANDING AFFORESTATION VS REFORESTATION
Apart from importance of reforestation we need to understand afforestation vs reforestation. Although both are serving almost the same purpose still there is a slight difference between afforestation and reforestation as –
- Afforestation means plantation of trees on barren land which was before empty and unfertile to convert it into a new forest-covered land. This is becoming very popular in urban areas where people are taking this initiative into their own hand and making things change for the betterment of society.
- Whereas, Reforestation means the replantation of trees on a piece of land which was previously covered with trees but somehow lost its vegetation and trees due to human interference. This initiative is undertaken by many NGO’s around the world to make climate the same as it was decades ago and to repopulate the lands with forests as it was before.
Not only this, on 21-March-2016 it was declared as the International Forest Day which had been done to create awareness about the problem of deforestation being increased around the world, even the Secretary-General of the United Nations has expressed his thoughts on the rapidly cutting down of trees.
The major points which were outlined by him are global climate stability, encouraging projects of afforestation in every country to make the planet habitable for all the types of plants and species.
One of the major situations which we have to deal with due to deforestation is global warming. It is causing lots of natural calamities all over the world.
ADVANTAGES OF REFORESTATION
- When there is deforestation in the area it makes the soil deficient in lots of minerals and resources and also makes the soil more prone to erosion. The roots of trees hold the soil tightly and prevent it from getting eroded. This prevents the soil from losing its essential mineral and makes the soil more fertile.
- Trees hold the moisture of that place intact by absorbing water through roots and leaves and also holding rainwater which prevents the atmosphere from drying up.
- Rainfall is also very frequent in the region where there are trees as they release in the air which accounts for more rainfall in that region.
- Another benefits of reforestation include trees if used in the controlled state are also a good source of income for the people of that region as there are various occupations related to making paper from trees and provide employment to the local villagers of that region, but remember to regrow again.
IMPORTANT GUIDELINES AS TO HOW TO ACHIEVE REFORESTATION SYSTEMATICALLY?
- Reforestation requires a lot of research through scientific technology as they require study to be conducted first to acquire useful knowledge of the weather condition of that region that needs to covered through reforestation.
- Information may contain details about the condition of the soil of that region, the types of trees, plants, and vegetation that can flourish easily in that landform by going through such details then only it is achievable to restore the land back into the forest.
- There has been a lot of change since the issue of forest are extinguishing around the world, many initiatives at a large scale are now launching to stop the deforestation process.
Earth is made habitable from resources we get from forests and by destroying these forests we are not only creating problems for ourselves but also destroying many wildlife species along the way.
So, we would like to encourage you all to understand the importance of reforestation deeply and plant more trees whenever there is a need of reforestation and help create awareness about the problem of deforestation our planet is facing and make earth resources replenish and safe for consuming.