While many of us want to save the earth but lack ideas of earth day tips for home or school from going green. We will discuss some of the best tips and facts to save the mother earth from pollution. But before going into this, let’s understand about earth day:
Earth day is observed on 22nd April every year. The first earth day was celebrated in 1970 in more than 193 countries around the world. Since then, it is being celebrated across the world as an international event.
But the irony is that people on this day (earth day) give voice to various environmental issues, but the next day they forget it. Earth is the only planet where life is possible, and therefore if we do not take care of it, we will not have another option.
Global warming, climate change, air pollution, water pollution, land pollution, etc. are some of the major problems that our earth is suffering.
Table of Contents
- 1 What Are the Earth Day Tips to Save Earth?
- 2 Stop Wasting Water
- 3 Proper Disposal of Waste
- 4 Reduce the Carbon Footprint
- 5 Planting Trees
- 6 Say No to Plastic
- 7 Reduce, Reuse and Recycle
- 8 Keep Your Surroundings Clean
- 9 Use of Solar Energy and other Non-Conventional Sources of Energy
- 10 Use energy-efficient electronics and appliances at houses and workplaces.
- 11 Reduce the Use of Paper
- 12 Sustainable Development
- 13 Educate and Spread Awareness
- 14 Do not buy clothing from fast fashion brands:
- 15 Organize Earth Day activities in your school:
- 16 Make a birdhouse:
- 17 Make your contribution by donating to charity:
- 18 Do not just wait for Earth Day:
- 19 Recycle waste papers by crafting fun and creative reminders
- 20 Declutter and Donate
- 21 Shop Local and Organic
- 22 Use traditional gardening methods
What Are the Earth Day Tips to Save Earth?
If we want to save our Earth, every person on earth needs to take deliberate and honest action. It is not just about participating in a campaign or just doing an environment-friendly activity on earth day.
We need to think that every day is an earth day and a small contribution to our planet is enough to make a big change. A single step like putting a waste tin can or any other waste in the dustbin contributes to the safety of earth.
Try to work on these Easy Earth Day Tips and help to increase the age of Earth-
Stop Wasting Water
Water is a precious resource that our earth has provided us. The percentage of clean and drinking water is decreasing every year.
We need to reduce the wastage of water. We can start at our home and by ourselves. Take a look at some easy earth day tips for home –
- A big amount of water is wasted while bathing. Reduce the time of bathing and use the showers instead of bathtub.
- Turn off the tap when not in use while brushing and shaving.
- Install ultra-low-flush toilets and shower-heads that save water.
- Turn off your lawn sprinklers during the rainy season.
- Fixing of leakages should be done on a regular basis.
- Save water by using products like vinegar, baking soda to clean the kitchen surface and other areas (wherever possible) instead of water.
- Try to recycle and conserve water.
Proper Disposal of Waste
- Waste management at the household level and at the industrial level can contribute a lot towards our environment and ultimately towards the earth.
- Compost is the best way of dumping organic household waste like vegetables and fruit peels, leaves, used coffee grounds, etc.
- The composts then can be used as organic/natural fertilizers. Compost also reduces the amount of household waste that is dumped into landfills.
- Similarly, Governments of every country should make a proper waste management system. You can ask a local governing body to make some arrangements for proper disposal.
Reduce the Carbon Footprint
This is the most important earth day tips which is not talked much about in the media. Carbon footprint is simply defined as the amount of carbon dioxide (carbon) emitted by an action of an individual, product, event, group or organization that directly or indirectly harms our earth.
We need to reduce our carbon footprint in order to make earth the best place to live.
A carbon footprint can be reduced by
- Carpooling – Improving driving habits, If you are in a group, this is possible. Carpooling can help reduce traffic in the city. Also, you can meet new people by carpooling.
- Regular maintenance of vehicles – Servicing will greatly help the engine to run efficiently and not cause too much pollution.
- Use of public transports – If one vehicle can do work of 100 vehicles, why use 100 vehicles. For example – use the metro, bus, shared taxi, etc.
- Flying less frequently – Travel is important, but of you are not in a hurry then why not travel by land.
- Less or zero consumption of meat – In the long run, people will feel the difference. We can also take various other several measures at our homes to reduce the emission of carbon.
Other tips to save earth include the planting of trees as they are the solution to all major environmental problems:
- Planting trees stop the erosion of soil.
- It helps to prevent many environmental pollution’s and most important trees are home to a large number of species.
- Trees act as a lifeline for our planet. Support Afforestation as it will restore the health of our mother Earth.
- Trees reduce carbon dioxide and increase the level of oxygen.
- It helps in fighting global warming.
- We will feel fresh air all the time of the day as it enhances the quality of the air.
Say No to Plastic
Plastics pollution is the biggest enemy and threat to earth. Plastic waste is a non-biodegradable waste that takes thousands of years to decompose.
- Avoid the use of plastic products like plastic shopping bags, bottles and other stuff that are made of plastics.
- Use paper bags that are environmentally friendly.
- “Every year nearly 18 billion pounds of plastic waste is thrown into oceans from the coastal areas”. (source – Britannica)
- Our land and oceans are filled with tons of plastic waste and day by day and this amount is increasing. It is high time and we seriously need to think about what is more important to us – plastic or our planet earth?
Reduce, Reuse and Recycle
Earth day tips also include – Reduce, Reuse and Recycle – If we follow these Three Rs properly, we can save our earth. It is necessary to reduce the use of those harmful chemicals that spoil our natural resources. We must use these things which we can reuse like shopping bags made up of cloths instead of plastics. Recycle things as much as you can.
Keep Your Surroundings Clean
As you keep your house clean, you need to keep your surroundings clean. We need to think that the earth is our home and it is meant to be clean. Beaches, mountains, rivers, and other natural places have been turned into hell due to human activities, and they deserve to be cleaned.
Use of Solar Energy and other Non-Conventional Sources of Energy
As conventional sources of energy (coal, petroleum, etc.) are less in quantity, and day by day, these natural resources are getting exhausted.
Non-conventional sources like solar energy, biogas, wind energy, etc., are a good option for generating energy.
These are renewable and eco-friendly sources of energy. Consider it as “earth day tips” and move to non-conventional sources of energy and take a step ahead to save this earth.
Use energy-efficient electronics and appliances at houses and workplaces.
Earth day tips also include making use of electricity efficient appliances at home and workplace.
These appliances with energy stars save energy and thus help to reduce your monthly bills. Also, do not leave your electronic devices on standby mode. It looks like that they do not consume energy but they do.
Reduce the Use of Paper
More paper means more cutting of trees. To stop the cutting of trees we need to stop or reduce the unnecessary use of paper.
Today, when everything is “digitalized” then why shouldn’t we use digital bills, documents and other things that can be done without the use of the paper? So, think about it and implement it as tips to save the earth.
The development without depleting and exploiting the natural resources is known as sustainable development. It is vital to protect and conserve our earth, along with development.
Moving ahead is essential but should not be at the cost of degrading our planet. So, try to practice sustainable development activities to save our earth and get advanced.
Educate and Spread Awareness
Educate yourself and try to educate other people about the vulnerable condition of the earth. Explore, study, collect knowledge, and share it with the world.
Try to encourage people and raise consciousness to take a positive step to contribute to this planet. Run campaigns and volunteer for the cleanliness of this earth. You can also take part in the Earth Hour 2023.
It is the time when everybody needs to take a stand for mother earth if we really care about it.
Do not buy clothing from fast fashion brands:
Following fashion trends of fast fashion brands may increase textile waste, leading to an increase in environmental pollution. Hence, we should buy clothing from sustainable brands instead of fast fashion brands to save Earth.
Organize Earth Day activities in your school:
It is our responsibility to educate our children today to understand the importance of conservation of the Earth. We can organize various activities (like drawing competition, essay writing, etc.) in the schools to celebrate Earth Day 2023.
Make a birdhouse:
Making a birdhouse is quite an exciting way to celebrate Earth Day, especially for kids. All you need some pieces of wood and a suitable place to put bird feed. You can also engage your kids in this activity.
Make your contribution by donating to charity:
If you cannot participate in any Earth Day activity, you can still be a part of the global event by donating to the organizations that work for the conservation of Earth.
Do not just wait for Earth Day:
We do many things on Earth Day every year in favor of the conservation of Earth. Now imagine, if we volunteer every day to take care of the environment, how many changes can we make. Celebrate every day as an Earth Day to save the Earth.
You can spread awareness among people only if you have the proper knowledge, ideas, skills, methods, and dedication to serve this noble cause.
And you can get all these only through the right learning process, a study, research, and proper implementations of earth day tips in 2023.
Recycle waste papers by crafting fun and creative reminders
We often take a lot of pledge with each climate crisis news or seasonal events like earth day. But, do you ever wonder how long we take action, or do we even take action?
That is due to a single reason. We don’t create a system for ourselves. To become responsible, we seriously need to design our home environment to obey all the “save earth tips.”
And reminders do an excellent job for that. You need to collect all your waste papers and craft earth-themed reminders.
Color your hands with green and blue. Now stamp them into the papers. And under that, write “don’t forget to switch off the lights,” “turn off the tape if you are not using,” etc. Glue or hang them near the desired location, and you are all set!
Declutter and Donate
Find time once in a while every week or month and declutter your home. Rather than throwing unnecessary things, donate them.
You can find the local organizations and schedule a time to go there and donate what you don’t want. It will save your home and local atmosphere from becoming a garbage source.
Shop Local and Organic
By supporting local farmers and businesses, we can reduce pollution from transportation, and we can also decrease the use of pesticides and other harmful chemicals.
Use traditional gardening methods
Starting a garden is yet another great way to save the earth. This way, you will consciously choose to use environmentally-friendly stuff.
Some tips you can use are;
- Do not use herbicides—rather separate weeds by hand (it is healthy for you and our mother earth).
- Pile up all your vegetable peels and animal wastes in a single place. Ta-da, Your organic fertilizer is ready!
- Plant shrubs near your home. It helps to insulate your living space.
- Use water-saving gadgets for your garden.
Earth is the only planet that has a life. It has provided each and everything. Now it is the time to give it back. Your every action matters, and therefore you can contribute to the betterment of this planet.
Try to make changes in the health/condition of Earth by following easy earth day 2023 tips from here. To make a change, you need to be a change, and for that, you all have to start at your homes. Take some physical activity and save our planet.
“Save Earth Save Life”