Future of Renewable Energy and Climate Change
The energy we get from natural sources like the sun, wind, water, etc. is known as renewable energy. Renewable energy sources get recharge naturally. Renewable energy sources are Eco-friendly and cause less amount of pollution, unlike non-renewable energy sources.
Solar energy, wind energy, geothermal energy, hydro-power, etc. are some of the natural renewable energy. Well, the sun is the primary source of renewable energy that does not deplete. Most of the renewable energy is either directly or indirectly linked to the sun. For example – Sunlight is directly used in solar systems, Sun heat manages wind that captured with turbines, etc.
Table of Contents
- 1 What Is the Future of Renewable Energy?
- 2 Renewable Energy and Climate Change
- 3 Renewable Energy and Sustainability
What Is the Future of Renewable Energy?
Every individual must think seriously about the future of renewable energy resources. The demands of energy are growing day by day across the world. We cannot depend only on fossil fuel to fulfill our energy demands. The environment is polluting due to the emission of harmful gases by the use of fossil fuels. This is why we need to focus on renewable energy resources.
Renewable resources are the future of energy generation and supply worldwide. As the demand for energy production is increasing every day, hence we need the replenish energy resource like solar, wind, hydroelectric, etc.
Future of Different Renewable Energy Resources
Can renewable energy power the future?
- Solar and wind energies are the most significant sources of renewable energy. The North Sea plays an essential role in the development of the offshore wind farm. This will have a great renewable energy environmental impact on energy supply in Europe. In future generations, the use of solar and wind energy will be increased a lot as renewable energy resources.
- Nuclear power will also be able to make its position as one of the primary renewable energy resources. The advanced technologies will make it possible to replace the use of fossil fuels with nuclear powers.
- There is another vital renewable energy, i.e., geothermal energy. However, it is limited geographically, but if managed properly, then it can match the wind and solar energy resources. Geothermal energy is equivalent to a nuclear power plant in terms of power generation. Geothermal energy is capable enough to generate limitless pollution-free energy.
- Tim Nixon (director for sustainability at Thomson Reuters) said that in the upcoming generations, the cost of carbon-based energy sources would increase a lot. On the other hand, the cost of renewable energy sources will be reduced. This is going to benefit the environment, causing less emission.
- Renewable energy can also be a solution to unemployment. It is an excellent source of job creation for people. If renewable energy industries get evolved in the future, it will include many people providing them employment.
- As per the revised projections of IEA (International Energy Agency), renewable energy capacity is predicted to be increased up to 50% by 2024.
- Renewable energy sources can also help to minimize the export & import of fuel from one country to another. The import & export processes include various legal formalities, and sometimes the countries get to indulge in conflict for fuel. If we can find out the ways to use replenished renewable energy sources, then no country has to depend on any other country to fulfill its fuel demand.
- The top five companies that worked hard to change the face of renewable energy sources last year, i.e. in 2019. These companies are- Siemens Gamesa, GE Renewable Energy, Berkshire Hathaway Energy, Cypress Creek Renewables, and NextEra Energy Resources.
- Apart from this, few countries are entirely relying on renewable energy sources. For example – Paraguay & Iceland are 100% relying on renewable energy, Norway depends on renewables up to 98.5%, Costa Rica up to 99%, etc.
- According to the energy revolution of 2014, our movement towards renewable energy sources is also grateful in terms of the economic development of the world. This report is a global analysis that shows how the world economy can be transformed into renewable energy (approximately 100%) by 2050.
- According to IRENA (International Renewable Energy Agency), the capacity of global renewable generation hiked a lot up to 167 GW in 2017. The credit goes to technology advancement, awareness about renewable energy, pollution, etc. Renewable energy is the advanced solution for those countries that want to contribute to the conservation of the environment by minimal carbon emission, causing less pollution, improving energy generation for renewable resources, etc.
- Renewable energy is a solution to fulfill the increasing demands of energy beyond fuel. As fossil fuels like coal, oil, etc. are non-renewable energy sources, hence these are available in limited amounts. On the other hand, renewable energy sources are naturally charged energy sources.
- The continuous use of non-renewable energy sources is forcing us to think about renewable energy sources.
Renewable Energy and Climate Change
Renewable energy plays a vital role in fighting against climate change. Climate change is a huge environmental issue that affects the weather conditions and the entire biodiversity of the planet. Most importantly, solar and wind energy are vital renewable energy sources for us today and for the upcoming generations.
Renewable energy is a kind of clean energy source. Unlike fossil fuels, renewable energy sources do not emit harmful chemicals and gases in the atmosphere. Fossil fuels are one of the major sources of greenhouse gases emission that contributes a lot to climate change.
With the use of renewable energy, we can minimize the accumulation and harmful effects of pollutants like greenhouse gases in the environment. As a result, it also helps to mitigate the adverse effects of climate change on the environment.
How Renewable Energy Helps in Fighting Climate Change?
If you are wondering how does renewable resources affect climate change? the answer is positive –
Cleans the atmosphere
As the burning of fossil fuels is responsible for the greenhouse effect, which further leads to global warming. If we switch to renewables for energy production, then we will be able to reduce the emission of these gases in the atmosphere. Less emissions mean less pollution and a cleaner atmosphere.
Improves the quality of air to breathe
Most of the air pollution is causing by the use of millions of vehicles across the world. These vehicles run on non-renewable fuels and thus release harmful gases in the atmosphere.
Carbon dioxide is one of the major pollutants that cause air pollution. Trees play an essential role in balancing the level of CO2 in the atmosphere. Unfortunately, cutting trees at a massive scale is also increasing the level of carbon in the atmosphere.
Planting more trees and using renewable energy sources can help to balance the amount of CO2 in the atmosphere.
Takes health on priority
Emission of harmful pollutants through the burning of fossil fuels is also affecting the health of organisms living on the planet. Using renewable energy resources emits a lower amount of pollutants as compared to non-renewable energy sources.
Protects natural habitat
The extraction of non-renewable energy sources has adverse impacts on natural habitats. Fuel extractions involve various activities. Performing these activities disturbs the animal kingdom quite severely.
These activities are destroying the natural patterns and cycles of various animal species. In some cases, it may lead to the extinction of some animal species. On the other hand, renewable energy sources are Eco-friendly and help to maintain proper balance in the environment.
Helps to minimize greenhouse effects
We all know the impacts of greenhouse gases on the environment and how drastically greenhouse gases are changing the global climate. Renewable energy source helps to deal with the greenhouse effect caused mainly due to the use of fossil fuels.
Renewable Energy and Sustainability
An unstoppable increase in environmental pollution is one of the major reasons that compelled the scientists to look for alternative energy sources. Renewable energy resources like solar, wind, etc. are the solution for energy supply in future generations.
Is Renewable Energy and Sustainable Energy Similar?
Most of the time, people think that all renewable energy sources are sustainable, but this is not true. Renewable energy is the sources that do not impact the environment badly. The sustainability of renewable resources is used in a broad sense. Energy sources such as solar, wind, hydroelectric, ocean energy, geothermal, hydrogen, etc. all are renewable energy resources and sustainable at the same time.
These sustainable renewable resources do not have harsh environmental impacts. On the other hand, energy sources like nuclear power are sustainable but not renewable, and it causes environmental pollution as well.
How Helpful and Sustainable are Renewable Energy Resources?
In general terms, we consider those energy sources as sustainable that can be replenished naturally and available for a long time. As the world’s population is growing day by day, so to meet the increasing demand for energy supply, we need sustainable energy sources.
Sustainable energy not only fulfills the demand of energy supply but also has health benefits towards living organisms of the planet. The renewable energy sources like solar, wind, hydroelectric, geothermal, etc. are available for many centuries and will be sustainable until we have life on the planet.
The best part of sustainable renewable energy resources is that they have shallow environmental impacts. The technology is improving day by day worldwide; hence we need to find out efficient and sustainable energy sources instead of fossil fuels. As per the studies, various projects are also going on to improve the renewable energy resources to get the maximum benefit out of it.
There is no doubt that fossil fuel has made our life quite easy; unfortunately, it has affected the environment by polluting it by releasing various pollutants in the air, water, land, etc. The use of fossil fuels has caused severe environmental issues like global warming, which has harmful consequences on the environment. This is the high time to switch to Eco-friendly natural energy resources such as solar and wind.
However, renewable energy sources may cost a little higher, but it will reduce the use of harmful fuels. We can save our environment to some extent if we can switch to renewable energy sources.
Choosing renewable energy sources is undoubtedly a contribution to handle climate change. Climate change is a global issue. The long-term effects of climate change can disturb the natural cycles on Earth. This is why we must start thinking about renewable energy resources on serious notes. Renewable energy not only protects us today but also ensures protection in the future as well.